Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wool Moths

Wool moths, eewwwww.

Do any of you remember your grandmother's closet having that strong mothball smell? 

Turns out there is another way to get rid of eggs and moths.  Freeze the garment for several days below 32 °F (0 °C).  

I do this when I bring home a used wool garment.  Of course if you live in the right climate just leaving it outside in a plastic bag for a couple nights could do the same thing (Masha, Angela, Kim, Alison.)

Once I was in a business meeting and (stupidly) said "It smells like a hamster cage in here." There was a moment of silence and then the smartest and highest ranked woman in the room, whom I deeply respected said: "Well my perfume does have a cedar note."  Thought I was going to die. She never held it against me.

I was reminded of this unfortunate episode because cedar wood was also used to try to deter moths. Apparently it is not effective for very long as the oils evaporate.




No comments:

Post a Comment