Thursday, February 2, 2012

Clothes sitting stagnant in our closets are a wasted resource.


Recycling Clothing Prevents the Release of Greenhouse Gas Emissions

Recycling about 3,500 tons of clothing can prevent the release of 12,600 tons of CO2 into the air — the equivalent of taking 2,200 cars off the road for a year, according to the EPA’s Green House Gas Equivalencies Calculator...

Campus California, an organization that operates the largest clothing donation box program in the San Francisco Bay Area [did just that] prevented the release of 12,600 tons of CO2 by collecting over 8,000,000 pounds (3,500 tons) of clothing in 2011 for recycling and reuse.

Source: http://securityandsustainabilityforum.org/recycling-clothing-prevents-the-release-of-greenhouse-gas-emissions

Note from Michelle:
I took about 25 garments and 4 pairs of shoes to consignment store Brown and Black on the Alameda a couple days ago.  They bought one sweater and I netted $8.80 then took the rest to Goodwill. Quite a number of pieces had come from Goodwill in the first place. A couple of things I had made and wasn't wearing. Some were previous retail purchases.  

Have I mentioned I view my closet at this point as a revolving closet?  Because I am purchasing ~90% of clothing and ~40% of shoes from consignment or thrift stores I can experiment easily with new colors and styles and then return them and check out (like an inexpensive library) new pieces.  

When I can hold this point-of-view it is easier to clean out my closet and keep it from being overly full which also fits in with one of my values - keep clothing in circulation.  If I have it and am not wearing it nobody can.  Clothing sitting stagnant in our closets are a wasted resource. 

No comments:

Post a Comment